Thanks to everyone who entered this year’s contest, and congratulations to all the winners:
- Best in Show: Necromancer Sakizou by Cowbutt Crunchies Cosplay
- Runner-up: Bob Fett by GiveWave Studios
- Best Masters: Ludo, Sir Didymus and Sarah by Kit & Chris
- Best Journeyman: Assassin Link by Lodaim Cosplay
- Best Novice: WoW Judgement Paladin by Christopher Fair
- Best Youth: Gregor Clegane by Emma
- Best Walk-on: Skylanders Group by Chuck, Courtney & Alyssa Woodward
- Runner-up Walk-on: Vortexman by Jonathan Higginbotham
- Judge’s Award (Abby from Human Sushi Cosplay): Danielle de Barbarac by Danni Darling
- Judge’s Award (Italian Peaches from Wicked Geeky): Disney’s Cinderella by Marina Nye
- Judge’s Award (Glitch Cos): The Flash by Ryan Snow
- Organizer Award: Mercy by Elegant Valkyrie
The following prizes are awarded to category winners:
- Best in Show — $2000
- Runner-Up — $1000
- Best Masters — $300
- Best Journeyman — $300
- Best Novice — $300
- Best Youth — $300
- Best Walk-On — $500
- Runner-Up Walk-On — $250
Rules & Regulations
1. Contest Rules
All contestants must have a badge/wrist band to this year’s Boston Comic Con.
All contestants must adhere to costume and prop policies.
Each entrant must fill out the contest registration form to guarantee their spot in the event. Please remember when filling this out that the organizer and emcee must be able to read the handwriting.
- The cap for this year’s event will be 75 entrants, with a cap of 20 for youth entrants (ages 13-17) and 20 for groups/duos.
- Pre-registration – which is now open – is capped at 40 entrants for this year’s event.
- Registration for all remaining places will take place from opening of the show on Friday August 12 at 12:00pm until the close of the show on Saturday August 13 at 7:00pm unless the entry cap is reach prior to that time.
- No additional entries will be accepted after registration closes.
All costumes MUST be AT LEAST 50% handmade OR altered. Commissioned costumes will only be allowed if the creator is present. All other store bought or commissioned costumes may only enter the walk on portion. (NOTE: our judges will decide if costumes are at least 50% handmade or altered)
Entrants in the costume contest CANNOT enter with a costume that has won a major award at other costume contests. Entrants interested in entering with a costume for which they previously won an award may only enter in the Walk-On portion of the contest.
Contest Registration will require the following information:
- Stage Name(s):
- Where the Character(s) is/are from:
- A single paragraph description of how you made your costume (groups are allowed to fill in more):
In addition, contestants will need to include photo references indicating where their costume is from and how they made it. This is needed at time of check-in. Anyone not providing all the necessary paperwork will have points deducted from their final score
Divisions are as follows for entrants:
- MASTERS DIVISION – entrants in this division have won best in show or placed in multiple top 3 in a past contests at conventions.
- JOURNEYMAN DIVISION – entrants in this division have entered contests in the past and haven’t won best in show OR been cosplaying for over a year.
- NOVICE DIVISION – entrants in this division have never entered a costume contest before and haven’t been making cosplays for a year or more.
- YOUTH DIVISION – entrants in this are between the ages of 13 and 17 years old (NOTE: entrants in the Youth Division who have won awards in the past will be entered in Journeyman or Masters Division).
- WALK-ON – those who were unable to enter the event but want to showcase their costume. Please note:
- There is no pre-event registration for the Walk-On division.
- Those wanting to participate in the Walk-On division must register separately and will not be pre-judged.
- Registration for the Walk-Ons takes place onsite at the Contest registration desk.
- Walk-On participants will only be eligible for prizes in the walk-on category.
- GROUPS – Those entering as groups or duos will be entered under the above divisions. Groups/duos should enter the division that most fits the best craftsman in the group (for example, a duo entering with master and novice would enter in the Masters Division).NOTE: Contestants may be moved to different divisions based on experience.
Contestants will be judged on a point scale by the judges on three criteria:
- Craftsmanship – how the entrant made their costume, use of materials and creativity
- Likeness/Detail – how close the contestant resembles the character they are cosplaying/detail on costume
- Presentation – how the entrant portrays themselves as the character they are cosplaying
Contestants will be pre-judged SUNDAY at the designated area and allowed a maximum of TWO MINUTES with the judges. At this time, they’ll be judging you on craftsmanship and likeness. (NOTE: Judges may allot for more time if needed)
Additional points may be awarded/deducted based on paperwork presented to judges of costume craftsmanship and reference photos.
Pre-judging times are from 10:00am until 3:00pm
Presentation is based on portrayal of the character on stage. Surprise the audience and judges but don’t surprise the organizer. Anything you want to do to captivate the audience/judges, please ask the contest organizer before doing it. Failure to do so can result in your disqualification from the contest!
REMEMBER: Be in character and have fun!
3. Contest Information
Contestants are asked to arrive at the designated area ONE (1) hour before the contest begins. Failure to arrive on time can result in disqualification from the contest. Only contestants will be allowed into the area at this time. Anyone additional must be given approval by the contest organizer.
At this time, the organizer will introduce the emcee and judges, and give general instructions. Contestants will be introduced on stage by the emcee, who will announce their name, character and where the character is from.
Contestants will have a maximum of ONE (1) minute on stage. Groups will be allowed more time.
Once the last contestant has left the stage, the judges will deliberate and the walk-on portion of the contest will begin.
4. Walk-On Participants
Entrants in the walk-on portion will have a maximum of 10 seconds on stage.
Winners in this category will be based on applause, so entertain the audience!
Once the walk-on portion has finished, winners will be announced.