HOW TO PRE-REGISTER
Each contestant must complete the ONLINE REGISTRATION FORM to guarantee their spot in the event. This year’s event will be capped at 65 entrants including 20 for Youth entrants (ages 13-17) and 15 for Novice entrants. UPDATE: The Novice division has reached capacity. Any registrations received for this division will be put on the wait list
Contest Registration will require the following information:
- Stage Name
- Where the Character is from
- A single paragraph description of how you made your costume
In addition, contestants will be required to bring with them picture references of their costume indicating where their costume is from and how they made it. THIS IS REQUIRED AT TIME OF CHECK-IN ON-SITE. Anyone who does not provide all necessary paperwork will have points deducted from their final score.
Walk-On Registration will be available on-site on Friday and Saturday. Please check back for more details on time and location of the registration.
The following prizes will be awarded to category winners:
Best in Show — $1,000
Runner-Up — $500
Best Masters — $150
Best Journeyman — $150
Best Novice — $150
Best Youth — $150
Best Walk-On — $250
Runner-Up Walk-On — $125
COSTUME CONTEST CATEGORIES
MASTERS DIVISION – Entrant(s) in this division have won best in show or placed in multiple top 3 in a past contests at conventions.
JOURNEYMAN DIVISION – Entrant(s) in this division have entered contests in the past but haven’t won best in show OR have been cosplaying for over a year.
NOVICE DIVISION – Entrant(s) in this division have never entered a costume contest before and haven’t been cosplaying for over a year.
YOUTH DIVISION – Entrant(s) in this division are between the ages of 13 and 17 years old. NOTE: Entrant(s) in the Youth Division who have won awards in the past will be entered in Journeyman or Masters Division.
GROUP DIVISION – Those entering as groups or duos should enter in one of the above divisions that most fits the best craftsman in the group (e.g. a duo entering with a Master and a Novice would enter in the Masters Division) NOTE: Contestants may be moved to different divisions based on experience.
- All contestants must have a badge/wrist band to BOSTON COMIC CON.
- All contestants must be 13 years of age or older to enter.
- All contestants must adhere to the costume and prop policy.
- No flagrant nudity “no costume is no costume”.
- No live animals will be allowed on stage, with the exception of seeing-eye dogs if required by contestant.
- No electrical power connections will be provided. If your costume requires power, it must be part of your costume design.
- All costumes MUST be at least 50% handmade OR altered. Commissioned costumes will only be allowed if the creator is present. All other store bought or commissioned costumes may only enter the Walk-On portion of the contest only (NOTE: It is at the discretion of the judges to decide if costumes are at least 50% handmade or altered).
- Entrants in the costume contest CANNOT enter with the same costume that has won a major award at other costume contests. Entrants interested in entering with a costume for which they previously won an award may only enter in the Walk-On portion of the contest.
- The masquerade director reserves the right to exclude any costume from the show that he/she deems inappropriate or for any reason the masquerade director determines to be sufficient.
Contestants will be judged on a point scale based of the following 3 criteria:
- Craftsmanship – How the entrant made their costume, use of materials and creativity
- Likeness/Detail – How close the contestant resembles the character they are cosplaying/detail on costume
- Presentation – How the entrant presents their costume to the judges in pre-judging and how the entrant showcases their costume on stage during the contest
Contestants will be given a certain timeslot for pre-judging on either Friday or Saturday. The time and location of the pre-judging will be sent to you by email prior to the show. Be sure to arrive early to check-in. Each contestant will be given a maximum of TWO MINUTES with the judges. At this time, you will be judged on your craftsmanship and likeness. Additional points may be awarded/deducted based on paperwork presented to judges of costume craftsmanship and reference photos. PLEASE BE SURE TO BRING THESE WITH YOU.
Final points for judging will be awarded for stage presentation to the audience. Presentation is based on portrayal of the character on stage. Surprise the audience and judges but don’t surprise the organizer. Anything you want to do to captivate the audience/judges, please ask the contest organizer before doing it. Failure to do so can result in your disqualification from the contest!
ON-SITE CONTEST LOGISTICS
Contestants are asked to arrive at the designated area ONE HOUR before the contest begins. Failure to arrive on time can result in disqualification from the contest. Only contestants will be allowed into the area at this time.
At this time, the organizer will introduce the emcee and judges, and give general instructions. Contestants will be introduced on stage by the emcee, who will announce their name, character and where the character is from.
Contestants will have a maximum of ONE MINUTE on stage. Groups will be allowed more time.
Once the last contestant has left the stage, the judges will deliberate and the walk-on portion of the contest will begin.
WALK ON PARTICIPANT INFORMATION
Entrants in the walk-on portion of the contest will have a maximum of 10 seconds on stage. Winners in this category will be based on applause, so entertain the audience! Once the walk-on portion has finished, winners will be announced.
GOOD LUCK TO ALL CONTESTANTS!
JUDGES CHOICES ARE FINAL. PLEASE BE RESPECTFUL OF THEIR DECISIONS!